The American College of Radiology (ACR) Council recently elected Debra L. Monticciolo, MD, FACR, of Temple, Texas, president at ACR 2019—the ACR annual meeting in Washington, DC. Katarzyna J. Macura, MD, PhD, FACR, of Baltimore, was elected ACR vice president.
Monticciolo is vice chair of the department of radiology (for research) and section chief of breast imaging at Baylor Scott & White Medical Center-Temple. She is also a professor of radiology Texas A&M University. Monticciolo is the immediate-past chair of the ACR Commission on Breast Imaging and past-president of the Society of Breast Imaging. She has served two terms on the FDA National Mammography Quality Assurance Advisory Committee.
“Dr. Monticciolo is an internationally recognized expert in breast imaging and a longtime advocate for increased access to high-quality care for women and their families. She has shown outstanding leadership in every role in which she has served within the ACR and elsewhere in medicine,” said American College of Radiology (ACR) Board of Chancellors Chair, Geraldine B. McGinty, MD, MBA, FACR. “The ACR will be well-represented by Dr. Monticciolo and the entire group of dedicated physician volunteers elected ACR officers this week.”
ACR vice president Macura, a fellow of the ACR, is a professor of radiology at Johns Hopkins Medicine and a professor of oncology and urology at Johns Hopkins Medical School. She also leads the Imaging Core of the JHU Institute for Clinical and Translational Research. Macura is the former co-chair of the ACR Commission on Women and Diversity, a member of the ACR Advanced Prostate Imaging and Targeted Therapy Committee, and former member of the ACR Artificial Intelligence Advisory Group.
Additional Newly Elected ACR Officers
- Richard Duszak Jr., MD, FACR, was elected speaker of the ACR Council. Duszak, who previously served as ACR vice speaker, is professor and vice chair for health policy and practice in the Department of Radiology and Imaging Sciences at Emory University in Atlanta.
- Amy Kotsenas, MD, FACR, was elected vice speaker of the ACR Council. Kotsenas is an associate professor of radiology and a board-certified neuroradiologist at Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn.
Board of Chancellors
- Commission on General, Small, Emergency and/or Rural Practices: Robert S. Pyatt, Jr., MD, FACR, Chambersburg, Pa.
- Commission on Radiation Oncology: William Small Jr., MD, FACR, Maywood, Ill.
- Commission for Women and Diversity: Johnson B. Lightfoote, MD, FACR, Pomona, Calif.
- Board of Chancellors Member-at-Large: Timothy L. Swan, MD, FACR, Marshfield, Wis.
Council Steering Committee
- Timothy A. Crummy, MD, FACR, Middleton, Wis.
- Lauren P. Golding, MD, Summerfield, N.C.
- K. Elizabeth Hawk, MD, MS, PhD, Studio City, Calif.
- David C. Youmans, MD, FACR, Princeton, N.J.
College Nominating Committee
- Scott F. Cameron, MD, Newton, Mass.
- Candice A. Johnstone, MD, Shorewood, Wis.
- Taj Kattapuram, MD, Arvada, Colo.